By Paul Craig Roberts —
The tragedy of September 11, 2001, goes far beyond the deaths of those who died in the towers and the deaths of firefighters and first responders who succumbed to illnesses caused by inhalation of toxic dust. For 13 years a new generation of Americans has been born into the 9-11 myth that has been used to create the American warfare-police state. Take a look at some of the failures that occurred that day and since:
- The corrupt Bush and Obama regimes have used 9-11 to kill, maim, dispossess and displace millions of Muslims in seven countries, none of whom had anything to do with 9-11.
- A generation of Americans has been born into a police state in which privacy and constitutional protections no longer exist.
- A generation of Americans has been born into continuous warfare while needs of citizens go unmet.
- A generation of Americans has been born into a society in which truth is replaced with the endless repetition of falsehoods.
- According to the official story, on September 11, 2001, the vaunted national security state of the world’s only superpower was defeated by a few young Saudi Arabians armed only with box cutters. The American national security state proved to be totally helpless and was dealt the greatest humiliation ever inflicted on any country claiming to be a power. That day no aspect of the national security state worked. Everything failed.
- The U.S. Air Force for the first time in history could not get interceptor jet fighters into the air.
- The National Security Council failed.
- All 16 U.S. intelligence agencies failed, as did those of America’s NATO allies.
- Air Traffic Control failed.
- Airport security failed four times at the same moment on the same day. The probability of such a failure happening by chance is zero.
If such a thing had actually happened by accident, there would have been demands from the White House, from Congress and from the media for an investigation. Officials would have been held accountable for their failures. Heads would have rolled.
Instead, the White House resisted for one year the 9-11 families’ demands for an investigation. Finally, a collection of politicians was assembled to listen to the government’s account and to write it down. The chairman, vice chairman and legal counsel of the 9-11 Commission have said that information was withheld from the commission, lies were told to the commission and that the commission “was set up to fail.” The worst security failure in history resulted in not a single firing. No one was held responsible.
Washington concluded that 9-11 was possible because America lacked a police state.
The USA PATRIOT Act, which was awaiting the event, was quickly passed by the congressional idiots. The act established executive branch independence of law and the Constitution. The act and follow-up measures have institutionalized a police state in “the land of the free.”
After 13 years people at home and abroad find the government’s story less and less believable.
The case made by independent experts is now so compelling that mainstream media has opened to it. After years of persistence a group in New York has secured the necessary number of valid signatures to put on the ballot a vote to investigate the cause of the collapse of the three WTC buildings. The official account, if correct, means that existing fire and building codes are insufficient to protect the public and that all other steel high-rise structures are subject to the same failure. The group has been clever to frame the issue in terms of public safety and not in terms of 9-11 truth.
New York authorities, of course, continue to oppose the initiative. The question now rests on a judge’s ruling. It is difficult to imagine a judge going against the government in such a major way, but the group will have made the point that the government has no confidence in the truth of its own story.
Over these 13 years, physicists, chemists, architects, engineers and first responders have provided massive evidence that completely disproves the official account of the failure of the three skyscrapers. The response to experts has been for non-experts to call experts “conspiracy theorists.” In other words, the defenders of the government’s story have no scientific or factual basis on which to stand. So they substitute name-calling.
9-11 was used to fundamentally alter the nature of the U.S. government and its relationship to the American people. Unaccountable executive power has replaced due process and the checks and balances established by the Constitution. In the name of national security, executive power knows no restraints. Essentially, Americans today have no rights if the government targets them.
Those Americans born after 9-11 were born into a different country from the rest of us. Having never experienced constitutional government, they will not know what they have lost.
The 9-11 lie has persisted for 13 years. Millions of Muslims have paid for this lie with their lives, the destruction of their families and with their dislocation. Most Americans remain comfortable with the fact that their government has destroyed in whole or part seven countries based on a lie Washington told to cover up an inside job that launched the crazed neoconservatives’ drive for Washington’s world empire.
Dr. Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy and associate editor of The Wall Street Journal. He was columnist for BusinessWeek, Scripps Howard News Service, and Creators Syndicate. He has had many university appointments. His Internet columns have attracted a worldwide following. Roberts’ latest books are The Failure of Laissez Faire Capitalism and Economic Dissolution of the West and How America Was Lost: From 9/11 to the Police/Warfare State.
RELATED ARTICLES FROM AMERICAN FREE PRESS